Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Spirited Away

“(This movie is) for the people who used to be ten years old and the people who are going to be ten years old.” – Hayao Miyazaki  

Spirited Away is a story of a young girl, who was lost in the world of spirits and her adventure in this magical world change her from a sullen and immature child into a fine young girl.



This is my all time favorite of Miyazaki's film and I am not going to review this movie because I know that it has been reviewed zillion times of those people better than I am, from bloggers/film lovers to professional movie critique and this film has nothing but tons of praises for its perfection.  When I first saw this film I was amazed by its unique story and magical spirits. But seeing it almost everyday, because of my 2 year old niece,who loves to watch this movie over and over and over and over again, it never ceased to make me awe. 

Background
Each time I watch it there is a gem, I pay attention not only on the story but its elements, from rich detailed background to musical scores. Each corner of every frame is all drawn by meticulous loving hand. This is truly a masterpiece beyond compare.
Detailed art background
Music
Musical scores of Spirited Away was composed and conducted by Miyazaki's regular collaborator and award winning musical director,composer, and  conductor, Joe Hisaishi, and performed by the New Japan Philharmonic.

Each music is calming and soothing to the soul. Maybe I am crazy but every time I'm in a long travel, I always played the "Sixth Station", the background song in the train to Geneva's house. I never get bored in my journey but instead I love every passing moment and it feels like I'm in the train too... in spirits world! How magnificent music can be. Music can be therapeutic, emotional, inspiring, and healing. It can even change your mood and setting in no time! I even played the whole album!    


OST Tracklist


Track
Composer
Duration
1
One Summer's Day (あの夏へ, Ano Natsu e)
Joe Hisaishi (久石譲)
3:09
2
A Road to Somewhere (とおり道, Toori Michi)
2:07
3
The Empty Restaurant (誰もいない料理店, Dare mo Inai Ryōriten)
3:15
4
Nighttime Coming (夜来る, Yoru Kuru)
2:00
5
The Dragon Boy (竜の少年, Ryū no Shōnen)
2:12
6
Sootballs (ボイラー虫, Boirā Mushi)
2:33
7
Procession of the Spirits (神さま達, Kamisama-tachi)
3:00
8
Yubaba (湯婆婆)
3:30
9
Bathhouse Morning (湯屋の朝, Yuya no Asa)
2:02
10
Day of the River (あの日の川, Ano Hi no Kawa)
3:13
11
It's Hard Work (仕事はつらいぜ, Shigoto wa Tsuraize)
2:26
12
The Stink Spirit (おクサレ神, Okusaregami)
4:01
13
Sen's Courage (千の勇気, Sen no Yūki)
2:45
14
The Bottomless Pit (底なし穴, Sokonashi Ana)
1:18
15
Kaonashi (No Face) (カオナシ, Kaonashi)
3:47
16
The Sixth Station (6番目の駅, Roku Banme no Eki)
3:38
17
Yubaba's Panic (湯婆婆狂乱, Yubaba Kyōran)
1:38
18
The House at Swamp Bottom (沼の底の家, Numa no Soko no Ie)
1:29
19
Reprise (ふたたび, Futatabi)
4:53
20
The Return (帰る日, Kaeru Hi)
3:20
21
Always With Me (いつも何度でも, Itsumo Nando demo)
Youmi Kimura (木村弓)
3:35

It also has an additional Image Album tracklist with 10 songs and I am so proud to say that I have a copy of these 2 albums.

Image Album track list

  1. Ano Hi no Kawa e (あの日の川へ, lit. To that Days' River) – Umi (3:54)
  2. Yoru ga Kuru (夜が来る, lit. Night is Coming) – Joe Hisaishi (4:25)
  3. Kamigami-sama (神々さま, lit. Gods) – Shizuru Otaka (3:55)
  4. Yuya (油屋, lit. Bathhouse) – Tsunehiko Kamijō (3:56)
  5. Fushigi no Kuni no Jyūnin (不思議の国の住人, lit. The People in Wonderland) – Joe Hisaishi (3:20)
  6. Samishii samishii (さみしいさみしい, lit. Lonely lonely) – Monsieur Kamayatsu (3:41)
  7. Solitude (ソリチュード, Sorichūdo) – Rieko Suzuki and Hiroshi Kondo (3:49)
  8. Umi (, lit. The Sea) – Joe Hisaishi (3:22)
  9. Shiroi Ryū (白い竜, lit. White Dragon) – Rikki (3:33)
  10. Chihiro no Waltz (千尋のワルツ, Chihiro no Warutsu, Chihiro's Waltz) – Joe Hisaishi (3:20)
As I watched this film again, I was spellbound as much as by any film I consider great. With this, I want to say my gratitude to Mr. Joe Hisaishi and Mr. Hayao Miyazaki for their passion, love, and generosity. 

With all my heart, Thank you for this wonderful gift.

0 Reactions to this post

Add Comment

    Post a Comment