Friday, April 19, 2013

Korean Words That I've Learned From Watching K-Dramas and K-Movies

What Korean Words Have You Learned from Watching K-Dramas and K-Movies?
Even before I seriously dive and bleed my nose in every Korean language websites, books, and modules, I've already knew some vocabulary, expressions and phrases by simply watching Korean dramas and movies. Here are the Korean words that I picked up by staring the idiot box at home 24/7 (I know this is an exaggeration, but any drama addict like me knows the drama and movie marathon).
Most of these words were colloquial and banmal (반말) or in informal form, that you can hardly find in a typical Korean dictionary. My list of pre-knowledge of Korean vocabulary isn’t huge, but it’s more than I expected when I counted. Of course, back then I just knew the meaning but I don’t know how to write these words in Korean.
Enclosed in parenthesis is it's Romanization (I’m not that good in Romanization if you think it’s wrong please tell me.) 
The English interpretation here were just based on my knowledge of Korean language, if you find it incorrect or misspelled please feel free to laugh (promise!) and please leave a comment or any correction.
The basic name-calling (eomma, appa, halmeoni etc)
나 (na) - I
나는 or 난(Naneun or Nan) - I( as topic)
나에게(naege)-me
남동생 (nam dongsaeng) - little brother
남자 (namja) - guy
남자 친구 (namja chingu) – boyfriend
남친(namchin) – contraction of namja chingu
남편 (nampyeon) – husband
내가 (naega) - I (as subject)
누나 (nuna) - boy's elder sister
동생 (dongsaeng) - (younger sibling)
사람 (Saram) – person
사장님(sajangnim) – boss
삼촌 (samchon) – uncle
선배 (Seonbae) - used to address senior colleagues
선생 (seonsaeng) – teacher (informal)
선생님 (seonsaengnim) – teacher (formal/honorific)
아버지 (abeoji) – father (formal)
아빠 (appa) – papa
아저씨 (Ajeossi) – Uncle, older man
아줌마 (Ajumma) – aunt, older woman
애인 sweetheart (for lovers)
어머니 (eomeoni) – mother (formal)
언니 (unni) - girl's elder sister
엄마 (eomma) – mama
여동생 (yeo dongsaeng) - little sister
여보 (yeobo) – sweetheart (for husband and wife)
여자 (yeoja) – girl
여자친구 (yeoja chingu) – girl friend
여친(yeochin)-contraction of yeoja chingu
오빠 – (Oppa) elder brother for female
자기야(jagiya) -honey, sweetheart
저 (ju) - I
저는(junun)- I (as subject)
조카 (Juka) – nephew
친구  (chingu) – friend
학생 (haksaeng) – student
할머니 (Halmeoni) – grandma
할아버지 (Harabeoji) – grandpa
형 – (Hyeong) – male's elder brother
저기요 (jeogiyo) – Excuse me (use on stranger)

The basic expressions~
! (Ya!) – Hey!
아이고! (aigoo!) - Oh, oh no, or oh my or geez
대박daebak) – Awesome
정말(jeongmal) - Really
바보 (phabo) - fool
이봐요(ibayo)-Look, look here,
감사합니다 (kamsahamnida) - Thank you – (formal)
감사 해요 (kamsahaeyo) – thank you (informal)
사랑합니다 (saranghamnida) – I love you (formal)
사랑해(saranghae) – I love you (informal)

The Kor-English (Konglish) words
Eye shopping – window shopping
Skinship – any kind of touch such as caressing, kissing, hugging between two lovers
드라마(deurama) - drama
싸인(Sign) – signature
버스(beoseu)- bus
 커피(keopi) -coffee
 샤워(syawo)- shower
 주스(juseu)- juice
 택시(taekshi)- taxi
 피자(pija)- pizza
 스트레스(seuteureseu)- stress
 아이스크림(aiseukeurim)- ice-cream
핸드폰 (haendeupon) – cell phone (this one is my fave konglish!!)
The basic greetings
안녕(Annyeong) – Hello
안녕하세요(annyeongseyo) – Hello
여보세요? (Yoboseyo?) – Hello? (when answering phone)

Historical Drama
I love historical dramas and I got these from Princess Hours (Goong), Jewel in the Palace (Dae Jang Geum) and Queen Seon Duk. 
Trivia:Actually my nickname “Peja” which is pronounced as “Peha” was derived from this word 폐하 (Pyeha) which means “Your Highness”.

전하 (Jeonha) - Your majesty, used when addressing Kings.
폐하 (Pyeha) – Your Highness, was used only when addressing Emperors.
대감 (Daegam ) - His Excellency
나리 (Nari) or 나으리 (Naeuri) was used by commoners in the Joseon Dynasty to refer to people of higher status but below 대감 (daegam).
기생(Gisaeng)– female Korean entertainer
공(Gong) – palace
왕(Wang) – the current king
왕자 (Wangja)– Royal Prince before being crowned as heir to the throne.
왕세자 (Wangseja)– Crown Prince
마마 (Mama)– His/Her Royal Highness
아바마마 (Abamama)– used by Prince and Princess when calling their father (King)
오마마마 (Omamama)– used by Prince and Princess when calling their mother (Queen)
할마마마 (Halmamama)– used by the prince/princess to their grandmother
할바마마 (Halbamama)– used by the prince/princess to their grandfather
중전마마 (Jungjeonmama)– Her Majesty, used by the people when they call the queen
마마님(Mamanim)– used to call palace ladies with higher rank
화랑 (Hwarang)– military position
알겠습니다 -(algetseumnida) - I understand

Bad/Cursing words
개새끼(Kaesaekki)- Son of a bitch
미치새끼( Michiseakki) - crazy
미친놈 (michin nom) – crazy
씨발 (Ssibal)- fuck
젠장 (Jenjang) - Damn it
쩐다 (Jjeota) - two contradicting meanings: very good or bad
헐 (Heol) - What the Heck (used when confused, witnessing something ridiculous…)

Random Words
가 (ka) - Go
같이(gatchi) – together
거짓말(Geojitmal)- Lie
고기(kogi) – meat
괜찮아요(Gweanchanhayo?) – Are you alright?
그래 (guerea) – yes or really
그래서(geureaso) – so
그래요 (geureayo) – yes
그러니까 (geureonikka) – therefore
그러면(geureomyon) - well then or in that case
그런데(geureonde) – but
그럼(geureom) – if so
그렇구나 (geureokona)- I see
그리고(keurigo) – and
그냥-(guinyang) – Just because…
그만(geuman)- stop
그만해 (geumanhea)- stop, enough,cut it out
근데(geunde) – contraction of 그런데 (geureonde) means but
나도(Nado) – me too
내일 (neail)- tommorrow
너 (neo) – you
너무(nomo)- very, too, excessively
네 (ne)- yes
누구(Nugu)- Who?
노래방(Noraebang) - song room, karaoke
도와주 (dowaju) - help
돈 (don) - money
똑똑이(ttok ttoki) - smart
뚱뚱이(ttung ttungi)- fat
만났어(mannasseo) met
만났어요(mannasseoyo) - met
메롱(melong)- bleeh (sound you make when you stick out your tongue at someone (in Korea))
뭐? (mweo?) – informal of “What”
뭐라고?(mweorago?) - informal of  What
뭐라고요?(mweoragoyo?) polite way of  What
뭐야?(Mweoya?) - what?
뭐해요(mweoheayo?) – polite way of  What
뭔데? (Mweonde?) – What is it?
미친놈 (michin nom) - crazy
바빴어(babbasseo) - busy
배고파 (beagopa)- hungry
빨리(ppalli) – fast
빨리와(ppalliwa) - hurry up
아냐! (Anya)- No!
아니(ani)-no
아니야? (Aniya?) – No?
아름다운(areumdawun) - beautiful
아마 (ama)-perhaps
아마도(amado)-perhaps
아프다 (Apeuda) - Hurt
안돼(andwae) – no
알았어 (arasso) – I understand
어디(eodi) –where
어때?(Eoddea?) – How was it?
어떻게? (eotteoke?) -  "what should i do?
어머(Eomeo) – My God
언제나(eonjena)-always
없어(Eobseo) - None
여러분!(yeoreobon) - everyone
영원히(yongwonhi)-forever
예쁜(yeppeun) -pretty
왜? (Wae?) - Why
왜요? (waeyo?) - why
우리(ori)-us
우리(uri) - our
응(ong)- yep, mmhm
이거 (Igeo) - this
잠깐 (jamkkan)- Hold on
재벌(Chaebol) - wealthy faction or clan
정말이에요?(Jeongmaliyo?) – Are you sure, or really?
제발 (Jebal) – Please
조금 (Jogeum)- little
좋아(Joa) - like
주세요!(Juseyo) – Could you please…
지금(jigum) - now
진짜(Jinjja) – really?
집에(Jibe)- house
피곤해(pigonhae) - tired
하지마 (hajima) – don’t
하지만(hajiman) – but
혹시(hokshi)-perhaps
혼자(honja)-alone
한번만(hanbonman) – just once
행복해(hengbokhae) – happiness
화장실 (hwajangsil) – rest room

And few Phrases
가위, 바위, 보 (gawi, bawi, bo)- Paper, rock, scissors.
가자 (kaja) – let’s go
그거 and 그건 (keugeo and keugeon) -  that
그건 아니야 – that’s not it
그건 아니지 않나 싶은데(Kugun aniji anna shipunde) - I don't think so
기다려 – hold on
기다려 주세요 (Kidaryeo juseyo) - just a moment please
꺼져 (Kkeojyeo)- Get lost
나도 몰라 (nado molla)– I don’t know too
내일(neail)- tommorow
너무 예뻐요 (neomu yeppeun) -You are very pretty.
도와 줄래(dowajulle)- can you help me
말도 안돼 (Maldo andwea) – No way!
맞자 (matja), 맞아 (maja), 맞아요 (majayo) - That's right
몰라 (molla)– I don’t know
미안 (Mian) – I’m sorry (informal)
미안합니다(mianhamnida) -  I’m sorry (polite)
미안해 (Mianhea) – I’m sorry (informal)
밤 (bam) – night
밥 먹자 (bammeokja) – let’s eat
보고싶어요 (bogoshipoyo)- I miss you
봤어(bwasseo) – have you seen?(informal)
봤어요 (bwasseoyo) – have you seen? (Formal)
싫어 (sirho) - don’t like
아마도(amado) - probably, likely, perhaps, maybe, possibly (derived from 아마)
아맞다!(ah mata!)-ah that's right!
아싸!(assa!)- yeah! or awesome
어디 갔어요? (eodi kasseoyo?) -  where did it go?
언제(eonje)- when
얼마나? (eolmana)– how many
얼마예요? (eolmayeyo) – how much
얼마요? (eolmayo) – how much
오늘(oneul)- today
오랜만입니다 (Oreanmanibnida) – It’s been a while.
잘 자. 내 꿈꿔. (Jalja neggum ggweo) - Sleep tight. Dream of me.
잘자(jal ja) – good night
잠깐만요(jamkkanmanyeo) – wait, hold on, 
잠시만요 (chamsimanyo) – just a moment 
장난해 (chang na ni) - are you kidding me?
정말 재밌었어!(Jeongmal Jemisseosseo!)- Really interesting!
죄송합니다(joesonghamnida) - I’m sorry (formal)
죽을래? (jugulle?) – do you wanna die?
첫사랑(cheot sarang) - first love
하나(Hana), 둘(Dul), 셋 (Set) - one, two, three (counting, usually when taking picture)

I guess that would be all! ...Maybe you have learned all of these too or more and if not, then... 
What Korean Words Have You Learned From Watching K-Dramas and Movies?
 Please share!

Source
Zkorean  - - (for correct spelling)
Gate2Home - Online Korean Keyboard 

11 Reactions to this post

Add Comment
  1. Anonymous said... 8/05/2015 10:44 AM

    Wow! thank you for posting this. I am not that far, although I picked up a lot from the dramas, too.
    ;)

  2. Titay said... 3/26/2017 10:04 PM

    Wow..daebak..gumawo!!!(is that right?..haha)

  3. abcnian said... 4/16/2018 7:50 PM

    Interesting! Thanks for sharing! 👍

  4. Unknown said... 9/22/2018 1:10 AM

    I think that you deserve compliments for your posts. They are pieces of advice for me. I wait for next posts. They are my cup of tea. Thanks a million.
    email with love email with love online

  5. Unknown said... 7/12/2019 7:42 PM

    Thank you for this. ive learned a lot! 😊

  6. Anonymous said... 9/04/2019 12:17 PM

    I learned a lot of new words through this post. I wanted to know the meaning of "omamama" and I couldn't even find it elsewhere. Thank you for this post.

  7. Unknown said... 5/28/2020 11:16 AM

    It's wonderful.

  8. Unknown said... 8/24/2020 1:19 AM

    Saranghae!! Kasahamnida. 😘😊👍

  9. Unknown said... 1/11/2021 4:59 AM

    kasahamnida😘😊👍👍

  10. Anonymous said... 2/05/2021 1:12 AM

    People its kamsahamnida and not kasahamnida.
    Also its gomawo and not gumawo.
    My earnest request if you really wanna learn the language get rid of the romanizations from your mind.

  11. Unknown said... 3/15/2021 12:56 PM

    You are a godsend! I was looking for Jeonha's meaning and I came here 💞💞💞💖💖💖💓💜💜💓💓💙💙💙

Post a Comment